Health

Just After Getting Into The Water For 10 Minutes, A Woman Got Infected With Flesh-Eating Bacteria

Just After Getting Into The Water For 10 Minutes, A Woman Got Infected With Flesh-Eating Bacteria

In Virginia, a lady who contracted a flesh-eating staph infection that spread through her leg after simply 10 minutes within the water had to have emergency surgical procedure days later, based on studies.

“I used to be just like, ‘Oh, my goodness my leg is gonna fall off,’” Amanda Edwards informed WTKR. “That’s the one factor I might keep thinking.”

Ms. Edwards had been at Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach last week with friends when she saw the infection spreading. She informed WTKR she ignored it for a few days till she couldn’t walk anymore.

Lastly, she went to the hospital for an emergency surgical procedure. “They had to cut me open, drain it out and stuff it with some gauze. I had to keep it covered for days. I needed to take three antibodies every six hours.”

She stated doctors informed her the infection might have spread through an open cut in her leg.

Ms. Edwards later realized there had been a swimming advisory out for Ocean View Beach — which has since been lifted — because of the bacteria levels within the water.

Based on People, Ms. Edwards is on antibiotics for another two weeks and is going to skip swimming for the rest of the summer season.

“Each time I get in the water, I’m gonna think about that time that I had that bad experience,” she mentioned.

About the author

Mary Chesterton

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment